Tetrabutylammonium bromide may be used as a catalyst in the synthesis of following:
- methyl 3-thiophenylpropionate
- methyl 3-thiobutylpropionate
- methyl 2-methyl-3-thiophenylpropionate
- methyl 2-methyl-3-thiobutylpropionate
- diethyl 2-thiophenylsuccinate
- diethyl 2-thiobutylsuccinate
Tetrabutylammonium bromide is a quaternary ammonium compound widely used as a phase transfer catalyst. TBAB decreases the retention time and removes peak tailing by acting as an ion pair reagent during the chromatographic analysis of quaternary ammonium compounds. In the molten state, TBAB behaves like an ionic liquid, which is a promising green alternative to organic solvents in polymer synthesis. It participates as a catalyst during the solvent-free synthesis of biscoumarin and dihydropyrano[c]chromene derivatives.